Monday, August 26, 2013

Personality types for character creation



Hi everyone! Finally, a new post :) Since a day or two I've really been back into personality typing, especially MBTI. Read on to know why and what my type is. ;)
I've always been interested in personality typing like Enneagram, The Big Five, and MBTI. The reason why I started looking it up again, is because of the latest episode of Extra Credits. (Great series about game design/industry. If you don't know them and you're interested in these topics, just watch ALL their video's ;) )

This episode talks about character creation and how personality types can help you to create a believable character. I suggest you watch the video since they give a quick description about MBTI. ;)


In the video they use MBTI to create characters, but you can use other typing methods too. Someone in the comments even suggested horoscopes! You don't have to believe in them (I don't), but it could be quite fun to design a "typical" character using a zodiac sign. :)

Anyway, that was how I got back into it again, but I actually did my test about 2,5 years ago. We had to it for school because we were then put into teams according to our types, to learn to deal with all types of people. Really interesting, good teacher too. I'm still amazed she could guess my type after only two or three lessons.

I'm an INFJ by the way. So Introverted, iNtuitive, Feeling, Judging. This type is also called The Protector.
Quietly forceful, original, and sensitive. Tend to stick to things until they are done. Extremely intuitive about people, and concerned for their feelings. Well-developed value systems which they strictly adhere to. Well-respected for their perseverance in doing the right thing. Likely to be individualistic, rather than leading or following.
Short description from Personality Page.

  • Idealistic
  • Sensitive to the needs of others
  • Highly creative and artistic
  • Reserved
  • Focused on the future
  • Private
  • Values close, deep relationships
  • Enjoys thinking about the meaning of life
Characteristics source.

Reading into this really fascinates me. A lot of things become more clear if you know how people differ and think. As a disclaimer I'm just going to say that, of course, everyone is different and you cannot just put people into boxes, you can only try to understand them better. ;) I also think it is great for game designers and story writers to look into psychology a bit. :)

Some interesting links:
http://personalitycafe.com/ (A forum centered around personality typing)
http://infjadvice.tumblr.com/ (Focused on INFJ, but all types can come and ask questions)

What do you think of personality typing? What is your type? Don't hesitate to leave a comment! ;)

Greets,
Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment